Pirates and Traders is a single-player strategic role-play game for Android phones and tablets. It is developed by MicaByte Systems, surprisingly just a 1-person company based in Norway.
As informed by its developer, Pirates and Traders is a homage to Sid Meier's classic PC game, Pirates! It would be remiss, however, not to mention other influences on the game - most notably Pieter Spronck's "Space Trader" (for PalmOS), David Braben and Ian Bell's "Elite", and the Richard Berg boardgame "Blackbeard".
The game started by bringing you back to year 1650 in the Carribean sea, where you'll start your adventure.
Here is the strategy I found out, after playing with this game for a few hours:
- Befriend with British, Dutch and French. Get the Letter of Marque from their Governors and only attack the Spanish ships and ports.
- In the beginning of the game, borrow money from the Governor and use the money to upgrade your ship as soon as possible.
- Make sure to repay back your loan as soon as possible once you are able to earn more than 10,000 doubloons (gold coins) , otherwise your debt will grow with interest.
- You will be able to attack and win the combat with larger warship once your ship got all the necessary upgrades. Seize the larger warship and upgrade it again. With larger warship, you have higher chance to win battles, and you'll have enough capacity to carry more crew for port attack.
- Remember to recruit specialist crew (Master) found on the ship you captured. You have higher chance to encounter them when you play the game in easier game levels, and harder to find them in harder levels.
- The fastest way to gain a lot of doubloons is to attack and plunder enemy ports. Start your attack to ports with smaller army. If you are outnumbered, use the "cunning" attack strategy. You'll also need a high cunning skill.
- The types of ship in this game, and their capacity before any upgrade, are listed as below. Once you acquired the Flag Galleon and fully upgrade it, you'll be quite invincible, especially in easier game levels.
- When you start feeling boring due to no comparable opponent, click the Retire button to end the game.