5G is the next generation mobile network coming after the current 4G LTE-Advanced. It is still under research and development, but we can expect it to hit the market in near future.
What can we expect from 5G enhancement from the current 4G technology?
- Up to 1000 times increase in bandwidth per unit area
- Up to 100 times more connected devices
- Up to 10 Gbps connection speed to mobile devices in the field (see picture below for comparison with older technologies)
- Perceived network availability of 99.999%
- Perceived 100% network coverage
- Maximum of only 1ms end-to-end round trip latency delay
- Up to 90% reduction in network energy utilization
So, 5G is the next generation mobile technology well prepared for the world of IoT, with significantly improved bandwidth, connection speed, stability, reliability, coverage, etc.
With 5G, the necessity of laying fibre landline will be greatly reduced. The world will truly enter into Gigabit Internet era.
Huawei which has just received the "Outstanding Contribution for LTE Evolution to 5G" award at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2017 is among the industry leaders who lead in the worldwide 5G development. (Unfortunately to investors, Huawei is not a public listed company)