Since SiS Corporation is the sole distributor of HTC smartphones in Malaysia, the HTC phones imported by SiS to Malaysia and under their warranty are generally called "genuine original set". Those imported by other vendors, not going through the official HTC distribution channel, and not under HTC/SiS warranty (probably warranty by the import vendors themselves), are generally called "AP set".
Because there is a price difference between genuine original set and AP set, if you are buying a genuine original set (which is normally more expensive than AP set), you might want to check if your HTC smartphone is really a genuine original set, officially supported and warranty by HTC through SiS.
You might also want to ensure that you are getting a brand new unopened set, instead of otherwise a display set, etc.
Here is the way to check it. A new HTC genuine original set must fulfil all the criteria below:
- The packaging box should be sealed with SiS sticker (photo as below)
- The phone's serial no. and IMEI no. should be the same as printed on the box and at the back of the phone (in battery compartment)
- You can check if the serial no. and IMEI no. is under SiS warranty here
- Inside the box, there should be 2 stickers with same serial no. and IMEI no. for you to stick on the warranty card
- All accessories should be sealed in plastic bag, except the battery charger. There should be a cut opening on the battery charger's plastic bag, for SiS to paste the warranty sticker onto the charger
- Beside the charger, there are also SiS warranty sticker on the phone and on the battery
- The battery is already inside the phone, but the circuit is blocked with a piece of plastic, which you need to remove in order for the battery to function
- The battery should be partially charged
- At the side of the box, you can find a sticker providing instruction about HTC/SiS online product warranty registration (photo as below)
- At the other side of the box, you can find another sticker about free introductory training provided for the phone
- If you are getting an HTC Incredible S phone, the free 8GB microSD memory card should be pre-installed in the phone's memory slot
- You can register the HTC phone for warranty here. Need to scan and upload your receipt of purchase during the registration process