I used to read subscribed electronic magazines with my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet when I am on the move. In many occasions, I found its screen too small to display the text in the electronic magazines to be readable without having to enlarge the pages.
Recently, Samsung launched a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet with 10.1" TFT LCD screen that comes with S Pen and supports both WiFi and LTE cellular network. It has full phone feature and can be used for phone calling and SMS function too!
I found its price of around RM1,500 to be reasonable, and therefore bought one to serve for my electronic magazines reading.
This Samsung Galaxy Tab A 6 with S Pen (model: SM-P585Y) is a mid-range Android tablet, powered by the Samsung Exynos 7 Octa 7870 14nm processor.
Specification wise, it is much better than the 9.7" Samsung Galaxy Tab A with S Pen and LTE support. The 9.7" version only has a screen resolution of 1024x768 while this 10.1" version one is 1920x1200. In addition, the 9.7" version has quad-core CPU and 2 GB RAM, while this 10.1" version has octa-core CPU and 3 GB RAM.
However, being a mid-range tablet, its specification is lower than the high spec Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7", LTE). The S2 has 2048x1536 super AMOLED screen and more sensors, but doesn't have S Pen.
What I like about this Samsung Galaxy Tab A 6 with S Pen (10.1", LTE)?
- Its 10.1" screen is large among the tablets in the market.
- It has a high capacity Li-ion battery of 7,300 mAh which can last for long hours of usage.
- It supports multi-user usage, whereby each user can login with separate account.
- It supports split window and also multiview for multitasking.
- Its S Pen is nice for drawing or writing quick notes. Comes with S Command function too.
- It has sufficient RAM to run smoothly.
- Its price is reasonable.
What I dislike about this Samsung Galaxy Tab A 6 with S Pen (10.1", LTE)?
- It does not have a "menu" navigation button, which need some software workaround to bring out the setting menu in some apps.
- It is quite heavy, probably due to its high capacity battery. It is even heavier when its book cover case (EF-BP580) is put on.
- It only has 16 GB internal storage, which is pretty small. Its official firmware does not support for Android 6 adoptable storage, so even if you add in a micro-SD card to expand its storage capacity, most of its storage usage is still residing within the small 16 GB internal storage.
- It does not have accelerometer, fingerprint sensor, gyroscope, geo-magnetic sensor, infra red blaster, NFC, etc.
- Although the Samsung Exynos 7870 supports LTE Cat.6, it only support LTE Cat.4.
- It does not support 2x2 MIMO Wireless-A WiFi. Its maximum connection speed at 5Ghz WiFi is 433Mbps only instead of 866Mbps.