Glad to know that the long awaited UltraVNC 1.0.5 is finally released, 2 years from the last stable version of 1.0.2.
When I was managing the MIS department of my ex-company, where my technical support team needs to support multiple retail outlets in remote locations, UltraVNC is an excellent tool the team uses for remote support and troubleshooting from HQ without needed to travel for onsite support. It saves a lot of time, money and effort, and helps to solve the problem for the user within a short period of time after the issue was raised.
UltraVNC is a powerful client-server remote control software derived from the famous Virtual Network Computing (VNC) software. With UltraVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote computer as if you are sitting in front of it, and control it with your local mouse and keyboard via the computer network.
There are 3 remote control technologies popular in the market of remote control software:
- Independent Computing Architecture (ICA) designed by Citrix Systems is proprietary. Practical products conforming to ICA are Citrix’s WinFrame and Citrix Presentation Server, which usage is charged by license.
- Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) designed by Microsoft is used in Terminal Services or Remote Desktop.
- Virtual Network Computing (VNC) designed by AT&T is released as open source and is platform independent. There are clients and servers for almost all GUI operating systems including Windows, Linux/BSD/Unix (X-Window), Mac OS, and also for Java. There are even clients that run in web browsers. Most free remote control software are based on this technology.
- Special graphics mirror driver to facilitate ultrafast remote controlling experience.
- Multiple authentication methods, including integration with Microsoft Windows Logon
- Data Stream Encryption Plugin to securely encrypt all data sent between the UltraVNC server and viewer.
- Possibility to send Ctrl-Alt-Del to the remote server, useful to logoff user, shutdown or restart remotely
- Text chat window for user between the server and client to communicate directly.
- Drag-and-drop style remote file transfer between client and server.
- Auto reconnection support
- Multiple monitors support
- Repeater to use UltraVNC viewer behind a NAT router.
- NAT to NAT connector for connections between UltraVNC viewer and server behind NAT routers without any router modification.
- UltraVNC SC (SingleClick), a customizable mini UltraVNC server that doesn't need any installation for on-the-fly usage.
UltraVNC is free and open sourced, released under the GNU General Public License.
Click here for more information and download of UltraVNC.