In September 2009 edition of the Baseline Magazine, an article by Corinne Bernstein reviews the key attributes of how the best-of-the-best companies keep their employees engaged, especially when in tough times, which are:
- A compelling, positive vision with clear goals: essential for increasing morale, motivation and productivity.
- Communication—the right stuff at the right time: encourage employees to express opinions, and managers relay the organization’s perspective in a timely manner.
- Select the right people for the right job: hire the most qualified candidates for jobs, and promote qualified, well-trained people into management positions.
- Remember that we’re on the same team: value team work within and across departments.
- Cool stuff—continuous improvement and innovation: encourage and recognize employees to improve quality by creating new products, processes or services.
- Recognize and reward excellent performance: appropriately reward the highest achievers.
- Accountability counts: clearly define what is expected from employees, providing feedback on their performance and holding team members accountable to performance standards.
- Every employee learns and grows: provide good training programs that are relevant to both the workers’ and the organization’s success.
- Problems are no problem: identifies and handles problems early on.
- It’s all about the customer: place a high value on exceeding customer expectations.
If you are interested to read the full article, you can click here to download the softcopy version of Baselin Magazine September 2009 Edition. It is in Page 12.