By now, results of SPM, STPM, GCE, UEC, etc. should have been released, and it is time for those secondary school graduates who want to further their study to look for university.
Tertiary education requires a lot of cost, several years of your lifespan, have material impact to your ideology, and might be an important factor for your career path. Therefore, it is important to choose the university wisely, and a worldwide universities ranking can be a good indicator for you.
The Webometrics World Universities' Ranking has coverage to more than 18,000 Higher Education Institutions worldwide. It summarizes the global performance of the university, provides information for candidate students and scholars, and reflects the commitment to the dissemination of scientific knowledge.
It is an initiative of the Cybermetrics Lab, a research group of the Centro de Ciencias Humanas y Sociales (CCHS), part of the National Research Council (CSIC), the largest public research body in Spain.
Now, let's see some of the Top 10s from the results of Webometrics' Jan 2010 Edition of Universities Ranking.
Top 10 country/political region for tertiary education:
- 1. United States
- 2. United Kingdom
- 3. Germany
- 4. Canada
- 5. Taiwan
- 6. Sweden
- 7. Spain
- 8. Japan
- 9. Brazil
- 10. Netherlands
So, if you are Human Resource or manager in your company going to interview candidates graduated from one of the country/political region above, go ahead and challenge them with tougher questions. If they passed, offer them a higher pay.
World's Top 10 Universities:
- 1. Harvard University
- 2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- 3. Stanford University
- 4. University of California Berkeley
- 5. Cornell University
- 6. University of Washington
- 7. University of Minnesota
- 8. Johns Hopkins University
- 9. University of Michigan
- 10. University of Wisconsin Madison
Click here to see the Top 8000 Universities of the world.
Top 10 Universities in Asia:
- 1. University of Tokyo, Japan (38)
- 2. Kyoto University, Japan (52)
- 3. National Taiwan University, Taiwan (63)
- 4. University of Hong Kong (128)
- 5. Chinese University of Hong Kong (130)
- 6. Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel (133)
- 7. Keio University, Japan (136)
- 8. National University of Singapore (146)
- 9. National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan (153)
- 10. Nagoya University, Japan (161)
Click here to see the Top 100 Universities in Asia.
- 1. National University of Singapore (146)
- 2. Kasetsart University, Thailand (229)
- 3. Prince of Songkla University, Thailand (338)
- 4. Mahidol University, Thailand (381)
- 5. Chulalongkorn University, Thailand (398)
- 6. Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (468)
- 7. Chiang Mai University, Thailand (478)
- 8. Universitas Gadjah Mada, Indonesia (562)
- 9. Khon Kaen University, Thailand (567)
- 10. Institute of Technology Bandung, Indonesia (661)
Click here to see the Top 100 Universities in South East Asia.
Top 10 Universities in Malaysia:
- 1. Universiti Putra Malaysia (686)
- 2. Universiti Sains Malaysia (725)
- 3. Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (733)
- 4. University of Malaya (778)
- 5. Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (985)
- 6. Universiti Teknologi Mara (1367)
- 7. Universiti Malaysia Perlis (1413)
- 8. Universiti Utara Malaysia (1454)
- 9. Multimedia University (1528)
- 10. International Islamic University Malaysia (1576)
Are you graduated from one of the world class universities/colleges? Some fresh graduates find it difficult to get a job. It could be due to few years back, they've made an unwise decision and studied in a low ranking university.
While some might want to argue that university ranking like this could be subjective, the employment market, locally or globally, will eventually reflect the reference value of the ranking system.
Click here to go to the homepage of Webometrics website.