Dr. Arthur Langer who is the senior director of the Center for Technology, Innovation and Community Engagement at Columbia Uniersity has thrown out several analytic questions for managers and/or senior management people to assess how prepared they are to continue moving on to their next position, either inside or outside their current organization.
Here are the questions:
- Do you spend enough time with the business? (beside your own domain such as technical...)
- Who is your replacement? (are you trapped in your job because you do it too well?)
- Do you know your individual weaknesses? (do you have good staff that compliment your weaknesses?)
- Where is your organization vulnerable? (are you serious in continuous improvement?)
- Are you involved with corporate social causes? (which you can get more attention and value to the management)
- Are you involved with getting new clients? (are you playing a key role in driving major business opportunies?)